In his testimony before a Senate Appropriations subcommittee on Tuesday, acting Attorney General Todd Blanche made a surprising admission: The Justice Department “failed” in its rollout of the Jeffrey Epstein files by releasing victims’ identities and personal information.
Victims of the late sex offender have told MS NOW they were retraumatized by seeing their personal information included unredacted in files released by the DOJ over the last six months.
In response to questions from Sen. Patty Murray, D-Wash., Blanche did not directly say, “I’m sorry.” But he admitted DOJ officials “never want to release a single victim’s name,” and that the mistakes were only present in a small percentage of the more than 6 million files. When those errors were identified, he said, “[W]e owned up to them.”
Blanche’s semi-apology was a step further than the public statements of his predecessor, former Attorney General Pam Bondi, who neither apologized to nor turned around to acknowledge Epstein survivors who came to watch her testify at a House Judiciary Committee hearing earlier this year.
Yet Blanche’s admission was not an easily obtained one. Rather, Murray asked him three separate times if he would apologize to victims whose identities and even nude photos were released in the file dump.
During his testimony, Blanche also seemed to suggest the DOJ has corrected each and every redaction failure brought to the department’s attention.
“The second that a victim or their lawyer told us that we made a mistake,” Blanche told Murray, “we pulled that document down.”
When asked by Murray whether he would meet with survivors, Blanche countered, “I have met with them. I’ve met with many, many of the lawyers for the survivors of victims, as did Attorney General Bondi.”
But in a statement given to MS NOW, a coalition of nearly 20 survivors plus family members denied that Blanche had ever met with any of them, noting that a meeting they sought with Bondi and DOJ officials never occurred. They added, “Given Blanche’s comments, we are again asking DOJ to meet directly with survivors and their counsel–not to ask survivors to start over, but to hear their concerns, hear how these failures occurred, and provide clear answers about the release, redaction, and withholding of Epstein-related records going forward.”








