President Donald Trump’s new taxpayer-backed $1.8 billion fund to pay alleged victims of a “weaponized” government is landing with Democrats about how you’d expect — with lawmakers calling it “insane” and “grotesque.”
What’s more surprising is that even Republicans on Capitol Hill are expressing discomfort.
It’s unclear whether Republicans will actually vote to block the fund, but Democrats intend to put them to the question — potentially as soon as Wednesday when marathon votes on the GOP’s reconciliation bill are supposed to start.
Many Republicans told reporters Tuesday they want greater clarity about the fund, which would give Trump unprecedented and unchecked power to distribute money to political allies and others who claim they were harmed by what Republicans have described as a “weaponized” Justice Department under President Joe Biden.
Some Republicans, including Senate Majority Leader John Thune, R-S.D., indicated they are not enthusiastic about the $1.8 billion plan.
Thune declared himself “not a big fan,” saying “I’m not sure exactly how they intend to use it.”
“I don’t see a purpose for that,” he said.
Sen. Jerry Moran, R-Kan., told reporters, “it’s a lot of money,” adding he wanted to know more about the “legality” of creating this sort of fund without congressional input.
Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La., told MS NOW he doesn’t see “any legal precedent” for the fund.
Noting that he was just on the campaign trail, Cassidy also questioned the fund’s political optics.
“People are concerned about making their own ends meet, not about putting a slush fund together without a legal precedent,” he said.
And Sen. Mike Rounds, R-S.D., said they’ve not seen a “lot of the details yet.”
“What about judicial review? And where does the legislature, Congress’ role fit into this?” Rounds asked.
Another question lawmakers have is who might actually qualify for the payments.
On Tuesday, acting Attorney General Todd Blanche explicitly wouldn’t rule out funds going to those prosecuted (and later pardoned by Trump) for assaulting police during the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot.
Sen. Lisa Murkowski, R-Alaska, said she’d have “serious and significant problems with that.”
Of course, there are several Republicans who quickly embraced the Department of Justice’s announcement of the settlement fund, including some of the lawmakers who claim they were unjustly targeted by the FBI as part of the agency’s probe of the Jan. 6 attack.
Last year, eight Republican senators and one member of the House claimed they had evidence their phone records were reviewed as part of that investigation.
One of them — Sen. Bill Hagerty, R-Tenn. — told reporters Tuesday that “there are a lot of people that have suffered severely” as a result of the “weaponization of government that took place under Joe Biden.”
Asked if he should be eligible for some of the money, Hagerty insisted he doesn’t “have any financial interest here.”
“I’m glad to see justice finally getting served,” he said.
Sen. Josh Hawley, R-Mo., also told MS NOW he could “think of a lot of people who ought to be compensated.”
Democrats — who had already expressed concerns about Trump’s IRS lawsuit that paved the way for the DOJ to announce the fund — are now eying ways to try to put a stop to it.









